Monday 7 March 2011

In the Style of Sugimoto

After having done some research into Hiroshi Sugimoto (see my blog of 22nd February), I decided that I would create my own Sugimoto cinema-style shot. But instead of a cinema I thought I would use our TV and lounge.
I set up the shot so that the TV would light up the fireplace and soft furniture. This meant that the TV is off centre in the picture. I was shooting with an Olympus E-410 DSLR on a tripod with the lens set at 14mm (28mm lens 35mm equivalent). I chose the smallest aperture (f22) and slowest film speed (ISO 100). The camera was set to manual focus. I did a number of exposures, but found that I was getting the effect I was looking for with an exposure of about 3 minutes. I shot the scene in RAW so I would able to make further adjustments to light levels in Photoshop.

When I downloaded the pictures onto my laptop, I was pretty pleased with the results, but with a bit of adjustment with Photoshop I found I could do even better. So the final light levels are about what they would have been had the exposure been for 4 minutes. I like the final result, but it doesn’t quite have the same eerie feeling as the Sugimoto original. So I thought that I could improve things by killing the colour and printing it in black and white. Both colour and B&W are shown below. Which one do you like? Which one gives that spooky feeling best? Answers to my blog please.




4 comments:

  1. I like the colour one best Eddie as does Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colour one is better mate. Not least of all because you have made the b+w one look a bit infra-red, which makes it look like a dodgy horror movie set. The colour one is more subtle, and there is an eeriness in the purple hue's that isn't present in the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments guys, yes I did think I might have gone overboard with the B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a little late to the party, but I concur! :)

    ReplyDelete